While we reserve the right to decline membership for any reason, the following are the minimum eligibility requirements to register as a renter:
- You must have held your current United States driver's license for at least two (2) consecutive years. If you have not held your current license number for at least two years, you must provide a previous license number(s) in addition to your current one.
- You must be at least 30 years of age to rent a vehicle.
- Your driving history may not show a major violation in the last 5 years.
Characteristic major violations are listed below, but this list is not all-inclusive:
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Hit and run
- Reckless driving
- Other major violations may include speeding 20 mph or more over the speed limit, driving on a suspended license, etc. Each state may classify certain offenses differently.
- Your driving history may not show more than 2 minor violations in the last 3 years, or more than 1 minor violation in the last year.
- You cannot have any criminal convictions on your record in the last 10 years. These convictions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- DWI, DUI, implied consent, any drug related violation, or open container violation, manslaughter, negligent homicide, felony involving a motor vehicle (including but not limited to hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident, reckless driving, driving/operating while license is suspended/revoked, license suspension for points, license revoked, resisting arrest, or failing to report an accident).
- You must possess a mobile phone in your own name that we can verify through text message.
- You must be a registered user of DriveShare.
Renter Eligibility Documentation: Acceptance of a renter into the DriveShare program shall be in the sole discretion of DriveShare. As a renter you are required to notify DriveShare of any changes to your eligibility, including and not limited to the status of a driver’s license, or any criminal charges, prior to renting a car using the services. Failure to notify and gain proper approvals will result in your account being deactivated. In addition, you will be personally liable for all damages and related legal fees as well as vehicle insurance claims and damages.
Renter Eligibility Continued Monitoring: DriveShare may periodically monitor any renter’s driving record and criminal history to ensure that such renter continues to qualify for membership under our Renter Eligibility Requirements. In addition, renter reviews can be triggered by a number of events. These may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- External notification by the State DMV (if supported by the driver license issuer state)
- External notification by any DriveShare user
- Internal notification by the DriveShare system functionality that we may establish and maintain from time to time and in our sole discretion