DriveShare takes 35% of each reservation, and the remaining 65% of the balance is transferred to the vehicle owner's account. The 35% fee covers the cost of the full coverage Insurance, Roadside Service and Support, Payment Processing, Listing and Availability Management, and Support Service provided by DriveShare to both the owner and renter during the rental period. For additional information, please refer to our Policies.
All owners are required to set up their DriveShare account page prior to accepting any booking request. Entering accurate bank account/payout information will ensure that once each rental period is completed, the funds will transfer seamlessly.
Once the rental period is completed, funds will be viewable within 3 business days by logging on and viewing your DriveShare dashboard. The funds will then transfer from the DriveShare account into the bank account that you listed. Funds can take 72-96 hours to transfer from DriveShare to your bank account, so you can expect the payment to be in your bank account 5 days after the rental period ends.